The Bible speaks a lot about new beginnings. This is something we all need from time to time. It can correct a situation, redirect our priorities, or act as our spiritual do-over. In my journey to follow Christ, I experienced many new beginnings. The most important one is the beginning of my new life in Christ. Life can be hard and sometimes we wish for a reset for peace of mind. However, when difficult times come, I have found that meditating on God’s word always helps me. Here are my favorite 20 Bible verses about new beginnings that calm my soul.
New Beginnings Started in the Old Testament
This new way started back in the Old Testament. The Lord’s great love is unconditional love to the nation of Israel. God poured out His love on the Jewish people in the holy city of David. However, God was making a way back to Him even before the Jewish people turned from God. Actually, He was making a way for reconciliation from the days of Adam and Eve. As a result of mankind’s sin, God would send Jesus to make a way back to His heart.
- See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. Isaiah 43:19 (NIV)
- No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)
C.S. Lewis Began A New Life In Christ
From the beginning, God has shared His wisdom and truths with mankind to enable them to live in peace and harmony with Him. If we would only open up our hearts and minds we can be reached. Therefore, seeing the steadfast love of God that allows for the changing of the heart. C.S. Lewis is an example of how someone can have a change in the attitude of their mind to transform them into a new person. Hence, we can learn that the attitude of your minds can also be renewed. The word of God has the power to change even the toughest heart. C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis was an atheist. It took 15 years for him to change his mind about Christianity.
“…he fully recognized that commitment to Christian faith would be a life-changing event, not just a casual decision about where to spend his Sunday mornings. And when he was ready to make the surrender of his will that was required of him, Lewis entered into faith with his whole heart, and mind, and soul.”Per cslewis.com
However, C.S. Lewis did not wait until he was an old man to accept Christianity. Hence, He was then able to go on to write many books to help others become Christ’s followers. The steadfast love of the Lord will allow us to throw off the old and become a new person within. This is what will change the attitude of your minds.
Throwing off old things for a new way
However, forgetting our former way of life and becoming a new creation requires the Holy Spirit to be with you every step of the way. Letting go of former things allows you to begin to live in eternity today. In as much as, God sees us living in this eternity with Him once we put off our old ways.
Therefore, throwing off our wicked ways leads to an eternal life that begins before reaching heaven. It starts with believing in God’s true righteousness and living hope.
- and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:24 (NIV)
- Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord God, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? Ezekiel 18:23 (ESV)
God’s word can help us to turn from our sins to see the beauty of a new day. Therefore, we learn to listen to his voice which is never a loud voice. Hence, we become more adept at listening closely as He whispers the will of God. It gives us new thoughts of peace and positive things. For God’s timing will lead us to become a new creation.
New Creation In Christ
Our God is a God of new beginnings. By the sacrifice of Jesus, we can become a new creation in Christ. Jesus can transform the spirit of your mind. It starts with believing that God can create something new from you and your circumstances. Hence, God can create a clean heart and renew our spirit.
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)
- Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 (ESV)
Believe in Jesus
It starts with believing in Jesus Christ. Then the faith-building begins step by step. As you gain wisdom from reading your Bible, attending church, and bible study groups you will begin to trust in the wisdom of God. This is what creates the new life in Christ Jesus. Whereas, the new life can be found in his name.
- But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. John 20:31 (NIV)
- And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Acts 16:31 (ESV)
This is the good thing so often spoken in the Bible. This good and new thing will allow you to sing a new song. A song filled with hope and gratefulness. What does this good thing look like in my life? It is the trust we have in God that eliminates all fear.
- He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord. Psalm 40:3 (ESV)
New Beginnings is a Good Thing
Examples of new beginnings can be a new job, a new city, a new journey, a new year, or a new relationship. On the other hand, it could be a new spirit that allows you to have a new self and remove your old self. Every time I am about to embark on a new phase of life, I start praying to God. This is a conversation of trust, faith, and fear. I pray that this journey will be filled with the Lord’s mercy and guidance and that each new morning will be filled with joy. Other times this new beginning brings about a great time. It will be filled with joy, and peace, for the Lord God has created this good thing.
- You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; Ephesians 4:22 (NIV)
- This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 (ESV)
Pray for New Beginnings
I pray that each journey will not be based on selfish desires but bring the glory of the father and that I will be able to sing a hymn of praise. However, if this journey is difficult that I will not revert to my heart of flesh. Instead, I hope to bring the glory of the father where ever I may go. This new beginning should show the whole world I have changed. I am now a child of God and I live under the Lord’s mercies and grace.
However, sometimes the journey can be painful and I will need the Lord to renew my strength every morning. Hence, it could also be a time to give up once and for all a sin that I have held on to for too long.
If we allow ourselves to gain wisdom, we will be able to shrug off our old life like a snake shedding its skin. Therefore, you can leave deceitful desires behind for a new way of life. Hence, wisdom allows for fresh beginnings.
- No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. 1 John 3:9 (ESV)
- Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” Lamentations 3:22-24
- For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; Proverbs 2:6 (ESV)
A new start comes starts wisdom and goes into the heart and works its way to your brain to engulf your entire soul. A new heart is a key in as much as it can lead to a good thing as promised by God. This was promised by God from as far back as the Old Testament
Old life – forget it
God’s great mercy is the good news. God the father of our lord Jesus Christ sent Jesus down to share this good news for his eternal glory. Our God is a God of second chances. Therefore, forget your old life for you were made in the likeness of God and are prepared to do good works. This is one of the many promises the Lord God has kept.
From the beginning, God has always kept his promises. First to the Jews of the promised land. Then to the gentiles. From the Old Testament, God’s promises of blessings and curses to the resurrection of Jesus Christ were all spelled out. This is the good news of grace and mercy preached in the New Testament. This is the beginning of a new relationship with God in the form of the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised before he returned to heaven that He would send a helper. This helper will dwell in us to help start our new beginning in Christ.
The Holy Spirit
However, when the power of God takes the form of the Holy Spirit, it transforms us. The Holy Spirit can change a heart of flesh from stone with of new spirit. This is the power of the Holy Spirit. Learn more about the Holy Spirit here.
- But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26 (ESV)
- And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38 (ESV)
- Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 1 Corinthians 6:19 (ESV)
- And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, Ezekiel 11:19 (ESV)
New Heaven and New Earth
God can make everything new. The first heaven and earth will one day be replaced with a New Heaven and a New Earth. One filled with joy, peace, and freedom. Freedom from tears, mourning, and pain for everything will be made new. It is a new beginning for mankind promised to us as it was meant to be in the first place. We are no longer in a strange land. A foreigner out of place in a world filled with ungodliness.
- “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. Isaiah 65:17 (NIV)
- He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:4 (ESV)
I hope you enjoyed reading these verses of new beginnings for us from God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. All three in one. However, the scriptures teach us that from the stories in the Bible we can find faith, hope, and trust in God. His promises renew
- New Beginnings was promised by God
- Jesus came to show us the way to new beginnings
- The Holy Spirt will help us with our new beginnings
- New beginnings are for everyone
- Anyone’s heart can be transformed
- Our God is a God of second chances
- Trust God for your new beginnings
- God’s plan for our life is perfect